4 Detox Bath Recipes – invigorate your body, mind and soul
Are you doing the detox on February the 1st? No? Well don’t panic and still join in the fun with our detox bath recipes.
The word detox has become a staple in modern terminology from juice cleanses to starvation, to our 5 day detox where you eat wholesome nutritious foods to bathing in Epsom salts, there are hundreds of different meanings. Here at Stay Sharp and Be Strong we highly advocate detoxing. However we focus on cleansing the body, this is done by nourishing your body, relaxing your mind and eliminating your body of the many toxins it has built up over time through the environment, a poor diet and lifestyle, and the stresses of our everyday lives.
A detox bath will cleanse the body and provide extra support to various systems of the body, as well as absorbing the minerals and nutrients that are in the water. A detox bath is wonderfully healing and it can also help you lose weight
There are a number of ways to make a detox bath, each with there own definitive benefits provided. Here our four of our favourites:
GINGER DETOX BATH: ginger is a root known for its health benefits when eaten in foods or consumed in tea, however it is also highly beneficial when bathed in, here are some of the wonderful benefits associated with a ginger bath:
- Reduces body odour
- Alleviates common cold
- Relieves joint pain
- Stimulates blood circulation
- Combats skin problems
A ginger bath stimulates the body to release more sweat. This natural perspiration cleanses the body of its toxins.
- 3 TBSP of fresh grated ginger
- Hot water – the hotter the water the greater the effects (please take caution when using hot water)
- Simply run the water to the temperature desired, add the grated ginger and soak for 30mins.
SALT AND BAKING SODA DETOX BATH: no you’re not baking a cake, you are detoxing your body! Baking soda, the handy little household treasure is the perfect de-stressor. Stress can be a major contributor to the build up of toxins in your body; baking soda is great for neutralizing the chlorine that’s been added to most city water sources. It’s not exactly easy to detox in a bath that is full of a toxic chemical, so it’s good that this makes it naturally cleaner. This bath is also great for soothing skin irritation, boosting magnesium levels and overall detoxing.
- ¼ cup Sea Salt
- ¼ cup Epsom Salt
- ¼ cup Baking soda
- 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 10 drops of an essential oil such as lavender or peppermint
- Dissolve the salt, Epsom salt, and baking soda in boiling water in a jug and set aside
- Fill the tub with desired temperature water and add the cider vinegar
- Pour salt mixture in and add essential oils if using, soak for 30 mins
SEAWEED DETOX BATH: this bath helps increase blood flow and lymph fluids in the body by creating electromagnetism that isn’t achieved with other detox bath methods. Seaweed is known for its purification benefits, but it also has a rejuvenating effect by eliminating toxins from the body, which refreshes us physically and mentally. A seaweed bath can create an invigorating effect by balancing the vital ingredients that constitute the body’s chemical structure.
- ½ a bag od bladder wrack or knotted wrack kelp
- Place the bladder wrack in a bath of hot water
- Allow the seaweed to a wonderful spring green colour and the water a rich brown as the seawees releases its minerals.
- Add an essential oil if desired
- Soak for 30 mins
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR DETOX BATH: boots your energy and vitality! Helps with conditions like arthritis and gout, as well as anything else caused by inflammation. This is a good bath to take if you feel you need to sweat the toxins out, as it makes your body more alkaline; too much sugar, alcohol, partying, processed food and caffeine can make your body highly acidic.
- 2 cups of Apple Cider Vinegar
1. Add vinegar to bath water, temperature as desired.
Ps. Don’t forget to jump in the shower after you won’t want to smell like a salad 🙂
Written by: Eshere Ward