Chana Masala with Avocado and Tomato Salad
Ive been craving something a little spicy, so I decided to make my healthy version of the classic Indian dish Chana Masala. This chickpea curry is rich in Vitamin C from the juicy tomatoes, it is high in fibre promoting a healthy digestive system, plus is packed full complex carbohydrates keeping you fuller for longer. Not to mention to wonderful anti-inflammatory properties of the ginger this nourishing dish is a wonderful snack or paired with a side salad or quinoa makes the perfect lunch or dinner.
- 3 cloves of garlic, diced
- 3 inch piece of ginger, finely sliced
- 2 green chilli’s, finely chopped
- 1 can drained and washed chickpeas
- 1 can plum tomatoes
- 1 TBSP. olive oil
- 1 TSP. mustard seeds
- 1 large handful of fresh coriander
- 1/2 an onion, finely sliced
- 1 1/2 TSP. tumeric powder
- 1/2 TSP. cumin seeds
- 1/2 TSP. sealt salt
- 1/2 TSP. black pepper
- 1 large cos lettuce leave
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1/4 a large avocado, diced
- Small handful of fresh coriander, sliced
- Squeeze of lemon
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- In a medium pan on a medium heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and ginger and saute for 3 mins, then add the garlic, chilli, mustard seeds and cumin and gently saute until softened and light brown.
- Add the tomatoes and tumeric and simmer for 10 mins, adding water if necessary.
- Add the chickpeas and cook for a further 5 mins, adding water when necessary.
- Once the spices have been cooked through and the water has dissolved season with salt and pepper and garnish with coriander.
To make the salad
- Simply mix tomato, avocado, lemon juice, balsamic, and coriander together and place on a cos lettuce leaf.
This dish can be served with Greek yoghurt, quinoa, brown rice and any other accompaniment you may wish to have.