Clean Eating Green Pancakes
I love me some pancakes (I mean seriously, who doesn’t?!) but I was also craving a bit of healthiness at the same time. I typically start my morning off with a green smoothie, so instead of doing that I decided to incorporate some of my veg into my pancakes. Genuis!
- 1 banana
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 1 heaping tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 handful of baby spinach leaves (use however much you feel comfortable with)
- 1/4 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 tablespoon maca powder
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- 1 teaspoon stevia (start with less & add more as needed)
- Shred your zucchini (courgette). You could also add some shredded carrot or beetroot.
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Add water as necessary to create a batter consistency. I used about 1/4 a cup.
- Heat your skillet or pancake pan, using coconut oil and add the batter either one at a time or a few in the pan at once once. (I chose to do smaller pancakes, but more of them for optimum tower height. hehe)
- Cook the pancakes for two minutes on medium- low heat (don’t set the fire alarm off like me!). Then flip and cook another two minutes. They should lightly brown on each side.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Top with coconut flakes, fresh fruit, cacao nibs, chopped nuts or seeds.
I recommend taking some frozen fruit and either putting it in the microwave (in a bowl of course) for 60 seconds, so the juices are released and it becomes a lovely topping. Or you could lightly cook them in a pan on the stove.
Tip: if you are using the spirulina, I do recommend adding the stevia, however if you don’t use the spirulina it should taste sweet enough. You could always replace the stevia with one or two medjool dates, a teaspoon of coconut sugar, or xylitol.
If you make these and post on instagram, don’t forget to tag me @staysharpbestrong and #staysharpbestrong so I can see your awesome pics!