Chocolate Halloween Cupcakes
It’s that time of year…. you know, sweets, candy, chocolate and that amazing feeling of feeling bloated and guilty. Don’t worry, I am just like you and most of the time can’t resist the urge to have some delicious (albeit bad-for-you) Halloween candy. Now I’m all for having treats, as long as it’s in moderation and you are not going on an all out one night a year binge-a-thon of candies. So don’t stress if you take the kids out, go trick or treating, or indulge at a party!
That being said, I love giving you alternatives to unhealthy foods that taste just as delicious and won’t add on pounds, wreak havoc on your skin or leave you feeling craptastic. Last year I did an awesome ebook (that is on sale for a limited time!) of decadent and delicious treats to make your Halloween actually happy (haha!). This year, I spent the day in the kitchen with a friend and not only made some awesome healthy Halloween treats, we did a whole theme and each picture came out pretty awesome. So without further ado, here is a really yummy recipe for some clean eating chocolate cupcakes!
Below are the recipes for my CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES with PUMPKIN ICING (dairy free, gluten free). Makes 6.
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked & mashed
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tbsp xanthax gum (might need more)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (for orange coloring)
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
- Preheat oven to 375. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, maple syrup, vanilla and melted coconut oil in a separate bowl then add the mixture to the dry bowl. Mix well. Alternatively you could add them in a vitamix (wet ingredients first, then slowly add dry).
- Line your muffin tin with liners and fill 3/4 of the way. Bake for 20 minutes. Around 17 minutes, insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean you can take them out. Allow to cool.
- Steam your potato (I always recommend chopping in smaller pieces so it cooks quicker) and allow to cool. This step can be done in the beginning if you want to ice the cupcakes immediately and eat them 🙂 Blend all frosting ingredients until smooth (if you need water to get more of an icing consistency then start by adding one tablespoon).
- Ice your cupcakes with a spoon or alternative add the frosting to a ziplock bag, press all the air out and seal it then a small piece off from one of the corners.
Eh, Voila! You now have delicious cupcakes that are guilt-free and are pretty simple to make.