Heavenly Superfood Protein Balls
We all love sweet treats! One of my favorite things is created these little protein balls and keeping them on hand for a pre or post workout snack, if I get a sugar craving, or just need a bit of extra energy. Because of all the nourishing ingredients in these guys, they are totally guilt free!
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup pumpkin & sunflower seeds (mixed)
- 2 TBSP vanilla chai protein powder (from Vega)
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 1 TBSP dessicated coconut flakes
- 1 tsp coconut oil (I use Lucy Bee)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (more if desired)
- 1/4 cup water
- Mix all the ingredients in a food processor until a dough forms.
- Roll in various powders to enhance color, flavor & nutritional benefits. I used Matcha green tea for the green ones, dessicated coconut flakes, acai powder (from Organic Burst), and cinnamon.
Why are these so good for you?
Pumpkin Seed Benefits:
- 1/4 cup of pumpkin seeds contains nearly half of the recommended daily amount of magnesium. Magnesium is needed for energy production, healthy bones and reduction of inflammation. It can also help curb those cravings for chocolate if you’re a chocoholic like myself.
- Contain high levels of zinc, which helps boost your immune system, improves your sleep, boosts your mood and helps keep your skin glowing.
- Promotes HDL cholesetrol, or the GOOD cholesterol which can help regulate blood pressure and keeps your body healthy.
- It regulates blood sugar, meaning it’s a great food for diabetics to be consuming.
- It helps reduce inflammation, so whether you have been indulging in bad foods or suffer from arthritis, cinnamon can help.
- It promotes a faster metabolism and sends signals to your brain telling you are full, so stock up if you’re trying to lose weight.
- These sweet guys can help rid you of constipation and help keep you regular because of their high levels of soluble fiber. They are known as a natural laxative, so if you are suffering try eating a few dates.
- There are high levels of minerals, making them a superfood. These minerals help develop and strengthen bones and lower your chances for osteoporosis.
- They contain large levels of iron, which combats anemia. They also have organic sulfer that helps fight allergies.
I hope you all enjoy these delicious treats! If you make them don’t forget to tag me on Instagram #staysharpbestrong