How To Make Homemade Peanut Butter
Fed up of looking high and low for a decent low sugar and low salt peanut butter that doesn’t cost the earth? Well look no further as I am about to tell you the secrets of making your own homemade peanut butter. That way you can see exactly what you are putting into your own batch of creamy goodness.
- 2 cups raw, shelled peanuts
- 2 tsp. peanut oil (other oils can be used)
- 2 tsp. honey or other sweetener (optional, for sweeter peanut butter)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (add more as desired)
- Heat the oven to 350°F, de-shell the peanuts and roast on a baking sheet for 10 mins or until golden brown
- Place the warm nuts in a food processor and pulse a few times just until chopped. (If you prefer chunky PB remove 1/2 cup of chopped nuts and set aside)
- Continue to blend the peanuts for several minutes continually scrapping down the sides to ensure an even mix
- Add the salt, oil, and honey
- Continue processing the butter until it becomes completely smooth, this may take a few minutes, then taste and see if more honey or salt is needed (for a creamier mix you may want to add a little bit more oil
- Transfer the mixture into airtight container such as a jar and serve (can be stored in the fridge for several weeks)
Makes about 1 1/2 cups
If you fancy getting creative in the kitchen then try adding other ingredients such as cacao powder, and experimenting with different nuts, seeds and oils.