Low fat Prawn Cocktail
Here in England spring is fast approaching, the days are slowly getting longer, and the sun is shining more. So it’s time for some fresh, vibrant new recipes, and why shouldn’t we start with one of our favourites the ‘Prawn Cocktail’.
Who doesn’t love juicy king prawns paired with ice berg lettuce, tangy tomatoes, cool cucumber and the infamous marie rose sauce? Well, don’t be put off by the marie rose sauce that you usually get, delicious as is may be but packed full of calories and saturated fat as I have whipped up a low fat and low calorie healthy alternative.
- 400g King Prawns – pre cooked and peeled
- 4 little gem lettuces, washed and trimmed
- 5 heaped tbsp. Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 inch cucumber – thinly chopped
- 2 tomatoes – thinly chopped
- 1 spring onion – thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. tabasco
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Break up the lettuce into 4 cocktail glasses, add the tomato, cucumber and spring onion – mix so ingredients are evenly layered
- Lay the king prawns over the salad
- Mix the yoghurt, tomato paste, worcestershire sauce, tabasco, paprika and salt and pepper together, add anymore of one ingredients to meet taste requirements.
- Gently pour enough marie rose mixture over each glass covering the prawns – then serve.
Written by: Eshere Ward