Pizza: A Non-Guilty Pleasure!
I can officially say I’m in love. Yup. This pizza crust is by far my new favorite thing I’ve ever had (besides all the other recipes I make of course! hehe). I was thinking I wanted to do something different and remember seeing this style of pizza on Instagram so I pulled up a recipe, went shopping, and low and behold came a beautiful, tasty, healthy, and non-guilty pizza!
For the pizza base:
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheese
- 1 egg
- dash of oregano
- finely diced garlic
For the pizza sauce & toppings:
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- paprika & cayenne pepper
- fresh basil
- fresh spinach
- artichoke hearts (rinsed from the can if they contain salt)
- bell pepper
- extra bit of cheese
- scallions for garnish
Understandably there might seem like a lot of ingredients here, or that it’s complicated but I promise its not!
- Heat the oven to 400F/ 205C, meanwhile cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces so it’s easier to blend in your food processor. I have a small one so I had to do it in small quantities. However, if you don’t have a food processor don’t fret! You can either chop it super fine or use a shredder. You will end up with a rice-like look as it will be finely chopped.
- Add the cauliflower into a pan and cook for about 5 minutes. This step can be done in various ways: either in a pan, microwaving it in a bowl for about 6-8 minutes, or boiling it in a pan of water for about 5 minutes, then draining and putting it in a towel to remove all the excess water.
- Once cooked, mix it in a bowl with your scrambled (uncooked) egg, 1 cup of cheese, garlic, and whatever spices you want. I used oregano but you can really use anything. Once it’s mixed you will spread it on your baking sheet (preferably with parchment paper on it which leads to less sticking). I made two roughly 9 inch pizza crusts that were quite thin.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 400F/200C. Once the pizzas are done they will be golden brown on the out outside but very crispy. At this point I added the pizza sauce which was super easy to make: throw all the ingredients in the food processor. Done. Spread it out on the two pizza bases.
- At this point add the rest of the ingredients you are using. I precooked my bell peppers in a pan but otherwise put fresh spinach, artichoke hearts, and cheese on. You then put it into the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Now EAT! 🙂 We decided to do side salads so I just threw together a very basic and quick spinach, artichoke, avocado and bell pepper salad with a dressing of balsamic, olive oil, and cider vinegar.
SIDE NOTE: I’m adding some new pictures as of today because I made a new version of this recipe and again, absolutely to die for- so I figured I must share it!
The main difference for this pizza was that I didn’t have enough cauliflower so I used half broccoli instead. Same instructions as above, and also swapped out the cheese this time using goats feta.
I used the same toppings as the other pizza, just this time added mushrooms and red chilli pepper flakes. I used some of the tomato sauce that was left over from cooking my pizzas on Friday night, this time just added an extra tomato and a bit of tomato paste.