Sharp’s SOS Smoothie
Today was one of those days where I woke up and from the moment I got out of bed I barely had a moment to breath. It was going from one Skype client to the next, phone calls in between, running errands into Hollywood and back home to Venice, more calls, and in between all of that fitting in a run and trying to remember to eat and drink water. That’s why when I got back from my run I realized that I wanted to make my Sharp’s SOS Smoothie. I’ve previously created one of my favorite juices, Sharpie’s SOS Juice which you can find here, however today I felt that my body needed some extra TLC which is why I made this into a smoothie and added so many superfood ingredients. I even did a little Periscope action (don’t forget to follow me!), something I’m trying to get better about doing.
If you take a look at the ingredient list, it can look a little daunting, I know. Yet the awesome thing about smoothies is that you can add or remove as many things as you like. I personally added a ton of stuff mainly because I just got over a wicked cold and I have had such a busy past few weeks that I wanted to flood my body with nutrients to help it get back into fighting shape.
Aside from the blackberries, cucumber and spinach, I wanted to share some awesome facts about the superfoods and why you should be having them. We all know that fruits and veggies are good for us, yet there is still so much confusion as to superfoods, whether they are worth it to buy, and really what good they are doing for us. I believe in providing you all the knowledge to un-complicate nutrition and really give you the down low on the foods you are eating. So let’s take a moment and take about the gloriousness of ingredients that went into Sharp’s SOS Smoothie and why they are so good for you.
- Spirulina: has antimicrobial properties that can prevent infections and viruses in the body, keeping your immune system health. Contains easily digestible protein, which is the perfect post-workout ingredient.
- Chia seeds: contains all essential amino acids, helping regenerate cells in the body, leading to a more youthful look. High in calcium, iron, and vitamins B, D, and E, all of which help to keep your body healthy.
- Turmeric: anti-inflammatory agent that has compounds which reduce chances or Alzheimers, reduces joint pain, and can improve liver function.
- Ginger: reduces inflammation that can cause migraines and headaches, arthritis, and menstrual cramps.
- Aloe vera: improves digestion, detoxifies the body, and helps with cell regeneration, all of which are critical whether you are trying to gain more muscle, get over being sick, or just increase your health.
- Cinnamon: can prevent candida, controls blood sugar, reduces cravings, and can boost brain function.
Now, if those benefits don’t make you want to try these superfood ingredients then you should probably just stop reading now. Juuuuust Kidding! All of these foods paired together create a delicious smoothie that is incredibly good for you. The key to remember is that consistency is where it’s at, and having one smoothie once a year won’t magically make you sick-proof. Having a smoothie a few times a week is a great way to kick start any healthy lifestyle, and it’s a tip that I recommend to my clients who are looking to start my detox, but don’t eat healthy.
A side note for this recipe, I personally used Organic Burst spirulina and Vega protein powder, both of which I highly recommend.
Scroll below for the recipe to this delicious smoothie and don’t forget to comment below and let me know what you think!
Tons of love, Nikki
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 inch chunk cucumber
- 2 cm chunk ginger
- 1 tablespoon aloe vera juice
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 scoop vegan protein powder
- 1 teaspoon spirulina
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash your spinach, cucumber, and black berries.
- Add ½ cup of water, handful of ice and all ingredients into your blender. Blend until fully smooth.
- Top with additional blackberries, chia seeds, oats, or anything else you wish.