Super Energy Boosting Smoothie
Today was one of those days where I woke up, was going to make eggs, then completely changed my mind and realized a smoothie was absolutely the way to go. I haven’t been having smoothies as much lately because it’s a bit cold and dreary in LA and when it’s cold outside I need warm things! (Hello Vata body type!) I’ve definitely been missing my smoothies though as I can tell I’m just not getting that boost of nutrients and fiber that they give you. Green juices are amazing and I’m loving them, however juices take away all the fiber which is super important to help keep your body removing toxins and waste consistently.
Because I decided to do a smoothie, it was one of those random, throw-everything-you-have-in-the-fridge-into-the-blender moments. Luckily, it actually came out pretty damn awesome! It might throw you off because of the coffee, however chilled coffee doesn’t really have too much flavor so it doesn’t throw the balance off at all (if you don’t drink coffee you can leave this part out). Instead, it adds a little caffeine kick to all the superfoods you are getting in this deliciousness. With all of the nutrient dense foods as well as superfoods, you will be getting a natural boost of energy that is sustained rather than having your energy rise and fall from just a coffee. This smoothie is also an amazing option because it will help your skin glow, it reduces cravings, and it’s the type of food that will give you the body you want rather than the constant yo-yo dieting!
My favorite part of this smoothie (besides adding beautiful fruits and veggies!)? The superfood powders.
- Turmeric- reduces inflammation in the body (which causes a variety of diseases and health issues), effective treatment for IBS, helps to lower cholesterol
- Maca- reduces cortisol (the stress hormone), promotes a healthy immune system, relieves PMS symptoms, helps give the body energy
- Spirulina– helps to fight sugar cravings, boosts protein and is more absorb-able than meat, helps the body produce serotonin (the feel good hormone)
- Wheatgrass– prevents colds and flu, improves the skin, helps remove toxins in the body, aids in digestion
When you pair these with the green veggies you have yourself a delicious and super nutritious smoothie! On a side note, I get asked which superfood powders I like, and personally I use Organic Burst. I’ve been using them since I lived in London and started my health journey (a few years ago). Definitely check them out. When it comes superfood powders though, you should always be getting the majority of your nutrition from real food and then supplement when necessary. If you are a bit confused on the powders, check out this article that I wrote. Hopefully it clears up some of your questions.
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large handful spinach
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 banana
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup chilled coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp each: maca, spirulina, wheatgrass powders, turmeric
- Add the liquids to the bottom of your blender then add the rest of the ingredients, minus the ice. (This helps the blender to mix everything easier.)
- Blend on high until everything is smooth, then add the ice.
- Pour into your glass and top with extra blueberries, cacao nibs, coconut flakes (I used coconut flakes that I had blitzed in my blender), goji berries or anything else your heart desires!
- Drink up!
Don’t forget to drink your smoothie over a 20 minute period. An easier way to think about it is, think about how long it would take you to individually chew and swallow each piece of food going into your smoothie; that’s how long you should take to drink it. Doing this will help to keep your blood sugar stable and prevent you from getting hungry in 30 minutes.
Happy Smoothie Trails!