Secrets of Getting a Supermodel Body
I get asked over and over how do I get the body I have. Let me first off tell you, I didn’t always look like this. When I was younger I was thin, but that dreaded fat skinny- no muscles, cellulite, and extra weight around my hips and thighs. I was always active but it wasn’t until much later (my mid 20’s) that I realized it was the food I was eating and the exercise that could change my body-and did!
So what are the secrets of getting a supermodel body?
- Eating clean. You have heard this before and it’s no secret. Cutting out all the packaged foods, processed things that are laden with salt, sugar, preservatives and chemicals is key. So what should you be eating? REAL FOOD! Check out my guide on clean eating to learn what is clean, what’s not and the top foods to cut out to lose fat quickly.
- Drinking 2L of water a day. I realize that you also hear this all the time, but water helps to flush toxins, boosts your metabolism, keeps your skin hydrated (nothing worse than feeling good but looking tired in your face!), and helps to promote digestion. When you don’t drink enough water your digestive tract can literally shut down, keeping all the excess waste inside your body which causes bloating and keeps toxins floating around.
- Getting your fill of healthy fats. There was this whole fad of low-fat this, low-calorie that. Well guess what? When you remove the fat from food it’s replaced with… you guessed it! Sugar and salt. The food companies need to have your food tasting good so they replace something that’s healthy for you with something not so good. Healthy fats are avocados, nuts, seeds, cold-pressed oils, coconut oil, and fatty fish (mackerel, herring and sardines). These fats keep your brain tissue insulated and working in peak condition. It also helps to keep you full throughout the day.
- Sweating! The days are over of being on a treadmill for two hours. While this can be good once a week, you will see much better results if you go short and HARD. I personally never count calories (or calories burned at the gym), I do however make sure I’m drenched in sweat by the end of my workout. Think that Adrianna Lima or Gisele get their bodies from watching tv while on the bike? Think again! It’s all about boxing, high intensity interval training, lifting weights, sprints, and other forms of exercise that get your heart rate up. Don’t be scared of lifting by the way… this is the best way to tone and tighten your body. Don’t have a gym? No problem, using your own body is an amazing way to get long lean muscles.
- Alcohol is out. In moderation of course. Alcohol prevents your body from absorbing nutrients, disrupts sleep, makes you crave bad food and adds extra calories. I personally still drink, but if I’m getting ready for a photoshoot then I don’t drink for at least a week. This helps to reduce bloating and gets your abs showing in no time.
- Beauty sleep. Remember that whole thing of going to bed in order to get 8 hours of sleep? Well that’s exactly what you should be doing! Sleep helps to rejuvenate your body, skin, mind and gives you energy. You muscles, cells, and brain will be able to function properly the next day and you can continue on a wonderful journey of getting that body you want. If you have troubles sleeping (like me) then it’s key to put your phone and all electronics away at least two hours before bed and get into a routine of lighting a candle, reading, and turning the lights low 30 minutes prior.
Just remember that your body craves routine and when you eat clean 70-80% of the time, exercise consistently, get enough sleep and keep going no matter what slip ups you may have you will be on your way to a supermodel body in no time!