The biggest thing holding you back: Sleep
When it comes to your health goals, whether it is weight loss, getting toned, or just overall becoming healthier, there is ONE thing that I can guarantee is holding you back.
Why do I guarantee this? Because we live in a day and age where this one thing is given the least amount of importance, and instead we spend our time fretting over how many minutes we spent jogging on a treadmill, how our photo did on IG, or if we ate all of our meals.
So what is this KEY INGREDIENT that we are lacking in? Any guesses?
The answer: SLEEP!
If you answer yes to any of the below then the chances of you getting enough quality, REM sleep, is likely low. And this is absolutely affecting everything from your work, your fitness goals, to cortisol levels in your body and making it harder to lose weight.
- Have you had any cravings over the past week?
- Do you check your phone or computer within 30 minutes of going to bed?
- Do you need caffeine to feel ready for the day?
- Do you have a hard time falling asleep or staying asleep?
- Do you ever get anxiety?
- Do you hit a 3pm slump and crave sugar?
As a society, we have gotten to a place where checking your social media and responding to emails at all hours of the day are more important than putting our phones away and taking time for ourself.
I’ll be the first to admit that I will find myself laying in bed at 11.30pm unable to sleep and I’ll reach for my phone to put on a meditation to listen to, and end up checking social media. I also find that if I don’t sleep enough I literally feel like I have a hangover. I mean what the…. !!! (Raise your hand if you’ve ever felt this!)
BUT- I want to give you some awesome solutions if you’re feeling sleep deprived and show you that you CAN make some simple changes.
Foods + Supplements to help you sleep
- Cherries, bananas, spinach and almonds all have varying levels of magnesium, calcium, and potassium which help your body (check out my new book for recipes with all these yummy foods!)
- Lemon balm, part of the mint family, can be brewed like mint tea
- Magnesium supplements (this also helps to keep your digestive system regular when you’re traveling)
- Maca powder to give you a boost of energy, instead of coffee
- Lavender essential oil. Use this on your temples and dab on wrists or add to an essential oil diffuser (I actually recommend essential oils for just about everything and use them throughout the day in my purifyer, in my water bottle, when I take a bath, to wake up, etc)
- Make sure you are putting your phone away AT LEAST 30 minutes before bed & keep in in another room.
- Meditation in the morning or at night, apps like CALM or HEADSPACE are great to give you 5 minute calming meditations free.
- If you CAN’T SLEEP, listen to this (scroll to bottom) and this. I use them to sleep at night and highly recommend them!
- Make your bedroom a very peaceful place! Mine takes form of the minimalism trend, with only a few candles (see my favorite one here), white sheets, and almost white everything. This is key to sleeping better!
Once you implement these tips & tricks and are fulfilling your nightly 8 hours of QUALITY sleep, you will begin to see your cravings disappear, find increased energy to fuel your workouts, and decrease your reliance on caffeine to stay awake. You’ll also feel more clear every day to make better choices – and hey, I can even say more sleep will improve your relationships too!
I hope that these tips and tricks help you to get better sleep and to feel rejuvenated throughout the day. In my last email I talked about superfoods – these are also a definite yes in my book to help you reduce caffeine during the day, which results in better sleep.
Tons of love,
PPS- If you’re on the fence about pre-order my new book, CLICK HERE to download a sample chapter to see what it’s all about!