29 Life Lessons I’ve Learned In 29 Years
Today I turn twenty nine, and looking back I have learned a great deal during this journey. You all have inspired so much love and growth within me and today I want to share 29 life lessons I have learned in the past 29 years.
- Do things for you.
- Make YOU time a priority.
- Get off technology and talk to people in person. You spending more time on your phone talking to your friends will not make you feel connected with people, it will have the opposite effect. Keeping your phone away when you are with others is a sign of respect and will make you enjoy your time together far more.
- Have a routine. We are creatures of routine, so keeping a schedule will make you more productive and leave you feeling more accomplished each day.
- Never underestimate yourself. You will always be your own biggest critic and you are capable of so much more than you think.
- Value having a good support system. No matter how independent you are, you will always benefit from having friends and family members behind you.
- Realize you are always loved, even when you think you’re not. We all go through times thinking there is no one who understands us, who gets what we are going through, or can handle what we are going through. You will have support as long as you ask for it because those around you really love you unconditionally.
- You’re never given more than you can handle.
- You’ve done more than you think you have. You might focus on what you have yet to accomplish, but try to see your accomplishments from someone else’s point of view.
- Money doesn’t buy you happiness. One of my favorite quotes is ‘some people are so poor all they have is money.’ All the money in the world won’t give you health, wealth, or happiness- this comes from being grateful, giving your time to others, and trying to become a better person than you were yesterday.
- No matter how much might not see eye-to-eye with your parents, know they love you with all their heart.
- Be compassionate to everyone. You never know the struggles they are going through, just as they don’t know yours.
- Travel as much as you can, even when you think you don’t have money for it. There are always ways to travel and you will get so much more out of it if you do it without staying at 5 star hotels. Take at least one month off in your life, go alone, and travel to parts unknown that will challenge you. This will be the most rewarding thing you do in life.
- There’s never a perfect time to start. Instead of waiting around for that perfect time that won’t come, make the most of the moment you’re in.
- Getting pissed off about traffic or being late, won’t get you there faster.
- Eating a healthy diet will make you feel good. Even if you find your self craving comfort foods, the healthier option will always have you feeling better in the long run.
- Live in moderation. Never listen to someone that tells you to follow extreme ways of living.
- Don’t take yourself too seriously.
- Experiences are far more valuable than possesions.
- Be proud of who you are. All of your life experiences have brought to this moment and you are pretty amazing. It’s really easy to think that we are never enough, but you are perfect exactly the way you are, in this exact moment.
- Don’t ever let your passion die. It might change throughout your life and take different shapes, but never give up on what truly drives you.
- No matter how busy you think you are, you should always make time for your life. There will always be another email to answer, order to fulfill, blog post to write and more. Don’t let the ‘I-need-to-do-this-right-this-second-otherwise-my-company-is-going-to-fall-apart-right-this-second’ mentality take over. Life is not what your phone, computer, emails, text messages or social media tells you. Life is what happens outside of this all.
- Stop worrying about the destination and just enjoy the journey. We don’t know where we will be a year from now, let alone 10 years, so stop trying to control everything. Instead, be present with where you are in your life and be grateful for all that you have. Read more of my thoughts on this here.
- No matter what job someone is doing, treat them with respect. Everyone deserves it just the same.
- Be grateful for everything in your life. You will not experience the best times of your life without going through the worst, so learn to love the harder moments knowing they will take you to better ones.
- Life is actually pretty freaking amazing. Yes, life might throw you a curve ball or two (or a lot), but when you realize that you have the power to change how you think about it all, things become a lot easier and more fun.
- Stop comparing yourself to others. We each have our own journey and each shine in our own unique ways.
- Putting someone else down won’t ever lift you up.
- Your self worth is not defined by how many followers you have. Having a lot of followers or engagement doesn’t equate to being a nice person, nor does it mean you are happy. Spend your time trying to help others and being present in your life, not on your phone and you’ll find that you’ll be a lot happier everyday.
Thank you all for the birthday love and I can’t wait to see what year 29 has to offer.
Let me know what you think and share something you’ve learned in the past year.