5 Tips To Detox Into The New Year
This time of year has us eating more than we normally would, drinking more and doing less workouts. While I do feel it’s important to enjoy the holidays, it’s equally important not to go overboard and give up completely.
Now for many of you, your new years resolutions will be kicking into full force shortly. Because of this, I wanted to share with you my 5 tips to detox into the new year.
1. Use a body brush. Body brushing is amazing to help stimulate the lymphatic system, getting toxins out and relieving bloat. To use a body brush, start with your feet brushing up towards your heart. Go up your legs and pay extra attention to your belly and back of the thighs where we hold toxins. Continue up your body and once you reach your arms brush up towards your shoulders and under your armpits. Do this every morning (or evening) before your shower, then lather up with coconut oil afterwards for silky smooth skin.
2. Drink your water. You know water is good for you; I don’t need to say this again. Water helps to fight dehydration which leads to tired looking skin, excess bloat, constipation, fatigue, and improper sleep. If you don’t like water, add slices of cucumber, mint, lemon, lime or whatever else tickles your fancy. It’s vitally important during the winter months when your skin is already taking a beating and you are probably not getting as many nutrients as you need. Aim for 2L a day. Carry a water bottle around with you at all times and bear with the fact you will be peeing more (this is good btw, it means you are peeing out toxins, especially if you are body brushing!).
3. Sweat everyday. Sweating helps to release toxins (see a theme here?), boosts your metabolism, and gives you energy. If you don’t have the energy to do something intense then go for a brisk walk to get your heart pumping. When you have your resolutions to lose weight, detox or get healthy then getting your body moving will help speed up this process.
4. Keep your goals realistic. There are going to be times when you want to quit (especially if you are going for intense goals during the month of January). Remember that you might feel irritable, cranky, or want to give up because you either don’t see results or your body is getting rid of all the holiday excess. This is normal and by keeping yourself grounded, resting enough and not restricting too much, you will fulfill all your goals.
5. Eat something green everyday. Whether you are trying to lose weight, detox, gain more energy or get healthier, greens should be your best friend. Green vegetables contain phyto-chemical which help to protect the human body from oxidant stress, diseases, and cancers. They are high in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants while being low in calories. I always suggest having one green smoothie each morning to sneak in loads of your veggies.
I hope these tips help you to stick with your resolutions and have you feeling healthy in no time.