The Best Leg Exercises
Here are a few exercises to do for legs.
Squats: squats are the most efficient exercise in all of weightlifting Squats actually are the foundation of building a better body. Whether you want to lose weight, gain muscle, shred out, be flexible, or just have good health squats are going to be your best friend. (SQUATS ARE NOT BAD FOR THE KNEES). If you do have bad knees, there are certain ways to do the exercise. Squatting on a smith machine is your best bet in doing weighted squats.
Squats are very challenging so you may only be able to start off with squatting the bar or just doing body weight squats. I would recommend doing 20 bodyweight squats before every squatting session using perfect form to build that mind to muscle connection memory to avoid injury. For squats, I recommend doing 20 reps x 3 sets. If you want an ass. You must squat.
Here is a perfect demonstration on how to do a proper squat.
Deadlifts: deadlifts are another one of those foundation exercises that target the legs, the arms, and the back. Deadlifts build amazing legs and amazing lower back strength giving you much more freedom in movements and various exercises. NOW YOU MUST BE CAREFUL when deadlifting as they are very hard on your back if you do them wrong. This will show you how to do a proper deadlift. Quoted by Stronglifts.com:
1. Stand with the bar above the center of your feet – your stance should be a bit more narrow than shoulder-width to give your arms room.
2. Grab the bar overhand so your arms are vertical to the floor – if your hamstrings are tight, do Squat 2 stands to boost your hip flexibility.
3. Bend through your knees until your shins hit the bar which must remain above the middle of your feet. Shoulder-blades directly over the bar.
4. Lift your chest but don’t squeeze your shoulder-blades like on Squats. Just put your shoulders back & down, head inline with rest of your spine.
5. Pull – keep the bar close to your body, roll it over your knees and thighs until your hips and knees are locked. Do not lean back at the top.
I recommend doing 3 sets of 6 reps on deadlifts. Go heavy or go home. But use proper form.
Leg Extensions: amazing for the tops of the quads.
Do this exercise for 3 sets x 20 reps. This will burn. For better results try not to clench the side bars to help get the weight up. You want all of the work going on your thighs.
Lying Hamstring Curls: these absolutely suck. I can’t express my hate for this exercise, but I have come to love the results. Hamstrings are the most underrated body part in the lower body and by having them, makes your legs pop out so much more than just having nice glutes and thighs.
This is a demonstration of a lying hamstring curl!
I recommend doing this exercise for 3 sets x 20 reps! Make sure to STRETCH WELL before performing this exercise as you can cramp and get a charlie horse (Which makes you want to die).
Tips: Make sure your form is absolutely perfect to avoid injury, stretch WELL for 10 minutes prior to exercising, stay hydrated as you don’t want to cramp and it ruin your exercise, and stay consistent. By doing these 4 exercises every day for a month, you will see an amazing difference in your legs. For weight loss and toning, throw in cardio AFTER the lifting session is done.
Enjoy your workout. EAT CLEAN, TRAIN DIRTY.
Download this in PDF format: PDF for leg exercises